[Skip Wastemaster: Natural Beauty (2008)]
- Green, Paula, & Harry Ricketts. 99 Ways into New Zealand Poetry. A Vintage Book. Auckland: Random House New Zealand, 2010.
- Course Poetry Anthology [available from the School of English and Media Studies]
The poetry section of this course has to range pretty widely, both chronologically and geographically, in order to make much sense. We'll begin by considering the evolution and antecedents of the (so-called) Language (or L=A=N=G=U=A=G=E, after the title of their main periodical) Poets of the 70s and 80s, but from there we'll be forced to examine a number of different movements, ideologies and techniques.
I've included a number of fairly comprehensive anthologies in this bibliography. Their introductions often contain useful insights into the evolution of poetic practice over the period we're considering: roughly, the last two to three decades of writing in New Zealand and internationally. They also have the added advantage of giving you a chance to sample the wide range of poetry available in English today.
There's a more specific booklist available on each of the author pages on this site. This Bibliography page is therefore mainly confined to more general works. I've divided them (roughly) into geographical regions for convenience, but obviously there's a good deal of overlap in the material covered by some of them.
It will continue to grow over the span of the course, so please do write in with any suggestions or criticisms you have.
- Astley, Neil, ed. In Person: 30 Poets. Filmed by Pamela Robertson-Pearce. With 2 DVDs. Northumberland: Bloodaxe Books, 2008.
- Broom, Sarah. Contemporary British and Irish Poetry: An Introduction. Houndmills, Basingstoke & New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2006.
- Horovitz, Michael, ed. Children of Albion – Poetry of the ‘Underground’ in Britain. 1969. The Penguin Poets. Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1971.
- Allen, Donald, & Warren Tallman, ed. The Poetics of the New American Poetry. New York: Grove Press, 1973.
- Allen, Donald, & George F. Butterick, ed. The Postmoderns: The New American Poetry Revised. New York: Grove Press, 1982.
- Bernstein, Charles. A Poetics. 1992. Cambridge, Mass: Harvard University Press, 1998.
- Hoover, Paul, ed. Postmodern American Poetry. A Norton Anthology. New York: W. W. Norton & Co., 1994.
- Weinberger, Eliot, ed. American Poetry since 1950: Innovators and Outsiders. An Anthology. New York: Marsilio Publishers, 1993.
- Alley, Elizabeth, & Mark Williams, ed. In the Same Room: Conversations with New Zealand Writers. Auckland: Auckland University Press, 1992.
- Bornholdt, Jenny, Gregory O’Brien, & Mark Williams, ed. An Anthology of New Zealand Poetry in English. 1997. Auckland: Oxford University Press, 1998.
- Brunton, Alan, Murray Edmond & Michele Leggott. Big Smoke: New Zealand Poems 1960-1975. Auckland: Auckland University Press, 2000.
- Edmond, Murray, & Mary Paul, ed. The New Poets: Initiatives in New Zealand Poetry. Wellington: Allen & Unwin New Zealand / Port Nicholson Press, 1987.
- Harvey, Siobhan, ed. Words Chosen Carefully: New Zealand Writers in Discussion. Photography by Liz March. Auckland: Cape Catley Ltd., 2010.
- Johnstone, Andrew, & Robyn Marsack, ed. Twenty Contemporary New Zealand Poets: An Anthology. Manchester: Carcanet, 2009.
- Loney, Alan. Reading / Saying / Making: Selected Essays. Auckland: The Writers Group, 2001.
- O’Brien, Greg. Moments of Invention: Portraits of 21 New Zealand Writers. Photographs by Robert Cross. Auckland: Heinemann Reed, 1988.
- Ricketts, Harry. Talking about Ourselves: Twelve New Zealand Poets in Conversation with Harry Ricketts. Wellington: Mallinson Rendell, 1986.
- Ross, Jack, ed. Classic New Zealand Poets in Performance. Poems Selected by Jack Ross & Jan Kemp. Auckland: Auckland University Press, 2006.
- Ross, Jack, & Jan Kemp, ed. Contemporary New Zealand Poets in Performance. Auckland: Auckland University Press, 2007.
- Ross, Jack, ed. New New Zealand Poets in Performance. Poems Selected by Jack Ross & Jan Kemp. Auckland: Auckland University Press, 2008.
- Wedde, Ian, & Harvey McQueen, ed. The Penguin Book of New Zealand Verse. 1985. Auckland: Penguin, 1987.
- Wedde, Ian, Miriama Evans & Harvey McQueen, ed. The Penguin Book of Contemporary New Zealand Poetry: Ngā Kupu Tītohu o Aotearoa. 1985. Auckland: Penguin, 1989.
- Williams, Mark, & Michele Leggott, ed. Opening the Book: New Essays on New Zealand Writing. Auckland: Auckland University Press, 1995.